Thursday, July 25, 2019

You Couldn't Ignore Me if You Tried; Iron, Fire, and Ice; State of the Union

After reading "The Ultimate History of the 80s Teen Movie" a few weeks ago, I was keen to read something a little more fun about the same topic. I've had this book on my "to read" list for years, so I finally just read it. I enjoyed it, she interviewed a lot of the main actors and actresses from a few iconic 80s movies. Mostly John Hughes films, but she also talked about "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Say Anything". It did get a little repetitive at times, but it wasn't bad.
I don't know why I couldn't get into this book. It seemed right up my alley: the real life history behind the events that inspired George R. R. Martin's "Game of Thrones". I love "GoT", I love British history (especially anything to do with the War of the Roses), and his writing style was pretty good: slightly sarcastic without overdoing it. Yet I had to renew this book twice, so I had it out for 9 weeks, and slogged through it a tiny bit at a time, it just didn't hold my attention. I think it was probably because he covered so much history in such short snippets, and of course all the names start to get confusing, since there were like, three male names in all of Europe at the time. I really wanted to enjoy it more than I actually did.
I watched "State of the Union" on Sundance and enjoyed it, so I checked out the book. I was a little disappointed, it literally was exactly like the show, almost word for word, with nothing extra. It was a quick read, which was nice, but I was hoping for a little more. Tom and Louise meet up in a pub every week before their marriage counseling to discuss what went wrong with their marriage. I found it very realistic, the conversations descend into silliness and mundane, like conversations do when you've known someone a very long time.

No comments: