Monday, January 27, 2020

Forest City Killer; Sitcommentary

This true crime piqued my interest when I read the summary, so I checked it out. It was good, I liked her writing style. Even though it was a subject I knew absolutely nothing about (cold case murders in Canada), it held my interest. In the 1960s and 70s, young women were found raped and murdered. To complicate matters, a few younger boys were also found in similar situations, all close to the small town of London, Ontario. Some experts insist there were two killers at work, others believe it was only one. The author, Vanessa Brown, is hoping advances in DNA technology might lead to a solution to these terrible crimes and finally bring some sense of closure to the grieving families. 
Robinson's book about sitcoms that changed America was a quick, funnish (sometimes) read. After all, his point is that sitcoms brought about social change by making us laugh at all our faults and shortcomings as a society. For the most part, he was pretty nonpolitical, but when he was it made sense in the context of the subject he was discussing, so it didn't bother me. What kind of did bother me was how he left some pretty major (I think, anyway) sitcoms out of the discussion. If you want to talk about groundbreaking, what about "Married with Children"? "The Simpsons"? I know you have to pick and choose, but some of his choices left me wondering why that show rated the cut and others didn't.

No comments: