Monday, January 13, 2020

Just Watch Me; Daisy Jones & the Six

Jeff Lindsay of "Dexter" fame is back with a new series about a master thief named Riley Wolfe. Riley thrives on the impossible, and in this first book, he aims high. The Crown Jewels of Iran, featuring the "Sea of Light", one of the largest pink diamonds known to man, is traveling to a small museum in New York, and Riley plans to rip it off. It was fun and a lot less dark than the Dexter books (which never bothered me). Riley is hard not to like even though you know you shouldn't, much like Dexter. 
I'm not sure how I feel about "Daisy Jones & the Six". I wanted to love it, and then I wanted to hate it, and then I decided it was probably better than I was giving it credit for. The book is told in through a series of interviews with the band members of Daisy Jones & the Six, a 1970s rock band (think Fleetwood Mac). Their meteoric rise and fall is told decades later by all the band members, and in the end we find out the interviewer is the eldest daughter of one of the lead singers. It was a quick read, based on the style. I did enjoy it, for the most part. I think what bugged me is how hard it is to read (and I'm sure to write) about music when there isn't any. For instance, the characters all refer to one of the band's top hits, "Honeycomb", and they talk about it like the reader knows exactly how it goes (which, if it were a real rock band, we all would. Refer to "Rhiannon" right now and I can sing it from memory). Well, it's a fake song. It doesn't exist. I don't know the words or the tune and I haven't listened to the song a million times. It made it a little harder to be as invested as I should have been in order to really enjoy the book, I think. And it's no fault of Reid's: I've read other books about rock bands and had the same issue. I also wasn't as enamored of Daisy as other reviewers have been: she seemed immature and selfish and everything in life came easily for her and she didn't appreciate it. I don't find that charming, I find it infuriating. Honestly, I just don't think I was in the right mood to read this one right now.

No comments: