Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Way We Became the Brady Bunch

I loved the Brady Bunch so much when I was a kid, I tried to convince my next door neighbors that I was Cindy Brady. They, of course, were too smart to fall for it, but I gave it a shot. I had no idea that the shows weren't "new": by the time I saw them they had been in syndication for awhile. Author Kimberly Potts wonders how a show that never cracked the top 30 while it aired (for a mere 5 years) became so ubiquitous in not just American culture, but worldwide? What was it about this silly, hokey show that made so many people watch episodes over and over and over again and inspired so many homages? It's really not easy to say, but I think she got close in saying that it aired in syndication at a time when a lot of households were single parent and kids were watching their parents go through a divorce. Like me, everyone wanted to be part of the safe, happy Brady family. So what if the shows were sappy and ridiculous to the point where Robert Reed refused to even show up? I still enjoy them to this day. There's just something about the Brady Bunch. It was a fun, nostalgic read.

No comments: