Saturday, October 13, 2007

Creating the Customer Driven Library

This morning I finished reading "Creating the Customer Driven Library" by Jeanette Woodward. Even though it was a recommended reading book for class, I found it interesting and informative. She has a lot of practical, thoughtful ideas on how to improve on what the library already does best without sacrificing its integrity. She suggests that libraries can learn a lot from what bookstores have done, but doesn't suggest that libraries turn into bookstores. After spending 5 years in bookstore hell, I heartily agree with this. I don't want the library to turn into a bookstore, and I don't think the loyal library patrons do, either. Why risk alienating our core clientele in the hopes of attracting others? It doesn't make sense to me.

No comments: