Monday, October 8, 2007

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Last night I finished reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. It was very good; I liked it a lot. I thought it was very interesting how Irving kept emphasizing how as an English teacher to high school students, John Wheelwright couldn't get them to understand how authors give hints in the beginning of books, and then Irving turns around and gave us hints all throughout the book as to how it would end. It was one of those books when you finish it, you have an "aha!" moment where everything ties together. I'm not a really big fan of putting so much negativity toward politics in a fiction book, especially since it really didn't help the plot much (as far as I could see; he could have left it all out and it wouldn't have made a difference. It just feels like he's trying to advance his own agenda) but other than that the characters were great (I wish I could hear Owen Meany's voice, just once), and the story was original and engaging.

No comments: