Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Water-Babies

Today I finished reading "The Water-Babies" by Charles Kingsley. It was very popular 150 years ago, when it was first published, but it reminded me of "Alice in Wonderland", which I didn't like, so, consequently, I really didn't care for this one. An abused little chimney sweep named Tom is turned into a water-baby, and lives in the water, having strange adventures with even stranger creatures. It's funny, because he wrote it as a mild reprimand to scientists who were not convinced by Darwin's theory of evolution. Since you weren't there, how can you know? was his basic argument, and that I totally agreed with, an saw it as applicable for today, with everyone all panicked and in an uproar about things that, honestly, they just don't know for sure. That is one lesson that will never be out of vogue. Even scientists don't know everything. No one does.

No comments: