Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Case of the Daring Decoy and the Case of the Lazy Lover

I tell you, this almost-being-done-with-school-thing rocks! I can read again without feeling guilty.
Two more Perry Mason's by Erle Stanley Gardner. "The Daring Decoy" was one I own but haven't read before. Two businessmen are in a proxy battle for control of a company when one is framed for murder. But who framed him?
"The Lazy Lover" I had read before, but it was so long ago I didn't remember it very well (until about 30 pages to the end, when I realized I knew the ending. That only happens when I've read them before). Perry receives two checks in the mail from a woman with no explanation as to what they are for, and he can't find her. Her husband claims she ran off with a boyfriend, and her daughter is missing as well. Once Perry does find her, she is arrested and accused of murdering her husband. All the evidence points to her guilt, unless you're Perry Mason. This has one of the most improbable endings ever, with Perry proving that some woman used a pole vault to create fake footprints. I just laughed. Really? You couldn't come up with anything a little more plausible? Oh, well, it's all good fun anyway.

No comments: