Friday, May 30, 2008

Odd Hours and In Search for King Arthur

"Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz is his fourth Odd Thomas book. I thought I had read the first three, but as I started reading this one, I realized that no, I had not. Apparently Odd Thomas (and it seems that is his real name) is a young fry cook who finds himself in the most improbable situations being a hero. He seems like a very like able character, and a decent guy. I just get the feeling that Koontz is messing with my head with books like this. In this one, Odd foils terrorists attempts to bring nuclear weapons onto U.S. soil using a corrupt police and harbor patrol in a small coastal California town. Odd foils them with the help of some flighty good Samaritans, a golden retriever, and the ghost of Frank Sinatra. I think you see my point.
"In Search for King Arthur" by David Day (and I don't know what it is about that title, I want to say "In search of King Arthur", who knows why) was a very good book that attempts to separate fact from fiction, not an easy thing to do, since the legend of King Arthur is so prevalent in our culture, not to mention that if he did live, it was 1500 years ago. Day does a good job of not making history boring and dry, but rather matter of fact while still being interesting. It makes me want to reread Tennyson's "Idylls of the King". And finish Malory's "Morte d'Arthur". I will someday, I swear!

No comments: