Friday, May 2, 2008

Transgressions Vol. 3

Okay, so I read "Transgressions" edited by Ed McBain, a paperback that had three novellas in it: "Walking Around Money" by Donald E. Westlake, "Walking the Line" by Walter Mosley, and "Merely Hate" by Ed McBain. It was only after I got to work and looked to see if my library owned any more "Transgressions" that I realized--duh, I read the hardcover with all the short stories that are in all the paperbacks two years ago. Sigh. Well, while the stories all sounded vaguely familiar (I figured because I had read so many novels by the authors) I didn't remember them, so it was like reading something new. All three stories were very good--I, of course, liked McBain's the best. It had a typical twist to it that he used a lot that always threw me off. It probably shouldn't have, once I read almost all of his books, but hey, what are you going to do? Mosley's featured a guy who calls himself the "Anarchist" and is all paranoid and full of conspiracy theories. I'm too closely related to too many individuals like that to be able to laugh at it. It hit too close to home :-) But for normal people who don't grow up being told that the FBI is spying on you, it's probably very amusing. Westlake's story involved counterfeit South American money and a thief trying to con two other thieves, who of course find out and thwart him. All in all, they were a good batch of stories. I like reading novellas sometimes.

No comments: