Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Wolf at the Table

Another autobiography by Augusten Burroughs, much less funny than "Running with Scissors", like he finally realized how horrific his childhood really was and it's not funny. It was still very readable; I couldn't put it down. This one focused mainly on his relationship with his sadistic, evil father, before his parent's divorce and his subsequent moving in with crazy Dr. Finch. He talks more about his older brother, John Elder, actually using his real name now since he published his own memoir I guess the cat's out of the bag. To me, it was very clear that his father was a person who was just not meant to have children. As much as Augusten tries to love him, and believe that some part of his father loved him back, the sad reality is that his father was an individual not worth loving. Anyone who could be that cruel to small children and helpless animals deserves to rot in hell, as far as I'm concerned. I also understand Augusten's complex relationship with his father: it's hard to love someone so much and yet hate them so much all at the same time. I know; I've been there.

No comments: