Friday, September 26, 2008

Brother Odd; Dewey: the Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

"Brother Odd" is Dean Koontz's third Odd Thomas book, and I didn't like it as much as the first two. In those, Odd is dealing with realistic (sort of, after all, how realistic is a guy who sees the ghost of Elvis?) evils, like Satanists and kidnappers. In this one, Odd is living in a monastery, trying to gain back some peace in his life. There is a mad scientist living there as well, who has managed to create life just by wishing it into existence. He has unleashed these weird, uberskeletons who kill on the monastery, and Odd has to try to stop them. It was totally weird and unbelievable, and just strange, like the fourth one, which I read a few months ago. I'm kind of nervous now about what 5-7 are going to be like. I probably won't read it again.
"Dewey" by Vicki Myron was absolutely amazing. It reminds me of "Marley and Me", which, when I finished reading it, grabbed my dog and held her for hours, weeping, while the poor confused dog just looked at me. I felt the same way about Dewey, and I don't even like cats! Dewey lived in the Spencer Iowa Public Library for 19 years, changing lives and bringing joy to others, especially the library director, Vicki, whose life had not been simple. It was very sweet, and I really enjoyed it. I get the ALA newsletter every week in my email, and this week they were saying there is talk of making a movie out of this book, which would be very good, I think, if they could find a cat who cat act. Cats are willful little beasts. I would definitely read this one again.

No comments: