Friday, September 19, 2008

The Case of the Beautiful Beggar; Jeeves and the Ties that Bind; Forever Odd

"The Beautiful Beggar" by Erle Stanley Gardner was an older Perry Mason (1965), but really good. An elderly man has some greedy relatives who try to put him away in a nursing home so they can steal his cash to pay off their bookie. Boy, sounds like my relatives! Perry got to play fast and loose with some evidence when the police fouled things up, and there was a great courtroom scene with a surprise witness. Probably will read again.
"Jeeves and the Ties that Bind" by P. G. Wodehouse was very funny. I've always wanted to read one because I've heard how good they are, and now I want to read more. The series is about Bertie Wooster and his butler, Jeeves. Set in post World War II England, Wooster and Jeeves (who is of course much more intelligent and well read than his boss) trade banter that made me laugh out loud. In this book, Wooster is trying to help an old buddy, Ginger, who is running for political office. Ginger is also engaged to Wooster's cousin, Florence, but he's in love with another woman and so is trying to get out of being elected and his engagement. Probably will read again.
"Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz is the second in the Odd Thomas series. I thought I had got the first one, but I messed up. Oh, well, I read the fourth one first. The more I read about Odd, the more I like him. He's geniunely likeable and a nice guy with a great attitude on life. In this volume (according to Dean Koontz, at ALA, there will be 7 Odd novels total) Odd rescues his best friend Danny after he is kidnapped by this woman obsessed with the paranormal and wants Odd to produce ghosts for her, since Danny has told her he can see dead people. It all works out in the end. Probably will read again.

No comments: