Monday, September 15, 2008

Mists of Avalon; The Case of the Caretaker's Cat; the Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece

"The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley is a definite will read again. It was a fantastic epic adventure of King Arthur told from the women's points of view, mostly his half-sister and high priestess of Avalon, Morgaine, whom I really liked. I didn't like his wife Gwenhyfer at all, she was so stiff necked and pious it was annoying. A lot of reviews I read on Amazon said that the book was anti-Christian but I didn't see it as such. I saw it more as a plea for tolerance among all religions. Queen Elizabeth I said that she would not dictate religion to her subjects, that she would not be a window into their souls, and I agree with that philosophy, and I think Bradley does too.
A couple of fun Perry Mason's I hadn't read yet. First was the "Caretaker's Cat", from 1935. There were some really fun moments in this one, with Della and Perry posing first as a couple looking to elope and then later as a couple on their honeymoon. Probably will read again, in another decade, when I decide I need to reread all my Perry Masons again.
"The Sleepwalker's Niece" was also pretty good, even though it had the unbelievable premise of not only the uncle walking in his sleep but the niece as well, usually with a carving knife in hand. Yikes! Remind me not to spend the night there! Probably will read again, too.

No comments: