Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gossip Girl; Somebody Owes Me Money; Uncertain Endings

After Shriver's "We Need to Talk about Kevin", I was craving something light and fluffy, so I read Cecily von Ziegesar's "Gossip Girl", the first in the series about a bunch of Upper East Side spoiled kids who attend private school but all they ever seem to do is drink and have sex. I wasn't very impressed. It was too silly and pretentious, and the whole omnipotent gossipgirl.net voice over thing was annoying. I suppose I was supposed to care who was writing the site, but really, I don't. I probably won't ever read it again.
"Somebody Owes Me Money" by Donald Westlake was a hard case true crime book about a New York taxi driver named Chet who makes a bet on a horse and when he goes to collect the money from his bookie he finds the bookie dead. The cops think Chet did it, McKay's sister thinks Chet did it, and two rival gangs think Chet did it. Chet's in a big mess. It was pretty good, although the ending was so convoluted I'm not 100% sure who the killer was. I probably won't ever read it again, but it was kind of fun.
"Uncertain Endings" was a book of mystery short stories with ambiguous endings edited by Otto Penzler. I'm not normally a short story person, but this one was pretty good. Most of the stories were satisfyingly frustrating. I probably won't ever read it again, but it was worth it the first time.

No comments: