Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wild Thing: John Daly; The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society; Mother Warriors; The First Quarry

"Wild Thing: John Daly" by William Wartman is a biography about golf's most outrageous athlete, John Daly, who won the 1991 PGA tour on his first time out. It was lots of fun; he seems like a wild and crazy guy. I totally would love to watch him play. I'll probably never read this one again (I don't usually, with biographies) but it was worth the time the first time.
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows was very cute. "Charming" was how my co-worker described it, and she summed it up well with that word. It takes place right after World War II on Guernsey Island, and is told entirely through letters. It was sweet and sad and I'd definitely read it again.
"Mother Warriors" by Jenny McCarthy blew me away. I picked it up at the library last night and even though I was dead tired after work and just wanted to go to sleep, I stayed up, reading it. Jenny's son, Evan, was diagnosed with autism, which utterly fascinates me and I don't know why. It scares the bejesus out of me that 1 out of every 150 kids get this and we aren't doing more about it. Jenny and other families with autistic kids have found treatments that work, like the gluten free diet, and the medical community is just ignoring their amazing results, saying that you can't possibly cure autism. Jenny talks alot about her frustration and I totally understand. It's insane! It makes me so angry, and I don't have an autistic kid. She is such an amazing lady, and a real champion. I hope soon that the mainstream medical community smartens up real soon, for the sake of all those poor kids. I would definitely read this one again, as heartbreaking as it is.
And finally, "The First Quarry" by Max Allan Collins was a hard case crime book and I really liked it. It was full of graphic, gross death and sex but totally fun. Quarry has just returned from Vietnam (the book is set in 1970) and has become a gun for hire. His first hit is a college professor who is sleeping with a big mob boss's daughter in order to get info out of her for his new book. There were a lot of neat twists in this one I didn't see coming. I probably won't ever read it again, but it was worth the time the first time around.

No comments: