Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Life in and Out of the Rough; Bubbles Unbound; We Need to Talk About Kevin

"My Life In and Out of the Rough" by John Daly is the golfer's own account of his life. While only a slim 200 pages, he manages to pack a lot into it, never shying away from admitting the uglier details of his life, including his 54 million dollar gambling debts over the years. Holy Jesus!! I probably won't ever read it again, but it was good for the first go round.
"Bubbles Unbound" by Sarah Strohmeyer is her first Bubbles book. I've heard the Bubbles series compared to the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, and so I figured since I loved Evanovich's books so much, I would check these out. Bubbles is a hairstylist and part-time journalist who is determined to expose a rich woman and her arrogant husband as murderers. It wasn't very good: the zaniness seemed forced and unfunny. I won't ever read it again, and I highly doubt I'll read any of the other Bubbles book. It was a good premise, but not very well executed.
"We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver more than made up for the disappointment of Bubbles. Shriver's book is told in letters from Eva, to her estranged husband, Franklin. Right from the beginning we know their son, Kevin, killed several classmates and a teacher in a Columbine like attack a year and a half earlier. Eva recounts their marriage and Kevin's life in these letters, wondering if her indifference and sometimes downright hatred of Kevin made him the way he was. Right from the start, Kevin seems evil. His babysitters sense it, his teachers sense it, parents of other children sense it. The only one who doesn't seem to realize it is Franklin. This was an amazing book, well written and gripping. It raises questions as to why these kids do what they do, and if anything could have been done to stop them. Of course, like all good fiction, it answers none of these questions, just asks so the reader ponders them. The last 40 pages are absolutely shocking. I would definitely read this one again, as well as recommend it to anyone looking for a great book.

No comments: