Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Eli Manning: the Making of a Quarterback; I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell; Zombie; Leaving Las Vegas

"Eli Manning" by Ralph Vacchiano wasn't nearly as good as I'd hoped. I love my football books, and I love Eli and brother Peyton, but it was obvious this author had no love for Brett Favre and that just ticked me off. The book wasn't very coherently put together. The only thing I really liked was the very nicely written account of last year's Super Bowl. I do, however, believe that Eli will someday be greater than Peyton. I definitely won't ever read it again, and it really almost wasn't worth it the first time around. At least it was a quick read, so I didn't waste too much time.
"I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max was hilarious. Tucker has made himself famous for being morally reprehensible, and it's amazing how little shame this man has. All told, though, it's a laugh riot, if you're not too disgusted by it. I'll probably read it again someday. I think his friend SlingBlade sounds even funnier than Tucker is.
"Zombie" by Joyce Carol Oates was her take on getting into the mind of a serial killer. It was totally disturbing and very good. This is only the second book of hers that I have read, but I'm eager to read more. She's a really amazing writer. The other book I read by her was "Blonde", a fictionalized account of Marilyn Monroe, and it's astounding to me that they were both written by the same woman, they're so completely different. I'll probably read it again someday.
Finally, "Leaving Las Vegas" by John O'Brien was hauntingly sad. O'Brien committed suicide after learning his novel was going to be made into a movie, and it's too bad, because I thought the movie was pretty good. Knowing that he killed himself after writing it made it that much harder to read, but in a good way. I'll probably read it again someday.

No comments: