Friday, January 9, 2009

Eleven on Top; Green Bay Replay; Hail to the Chief

I haven't been reading as much as usual lately because I moved, and I'm still unpacking. Most of my books are now in boxes, which is very sad, but on the bright side I'm in a new library with a fabulous collection that might take me, oh, six months or so to exhaust :-)
"Eleven on Top" was of course another Stephanie Plum reread by Janet Evanovich, where Steph decides to quit the bounty hunter profession in a misguided attempt to normalize her life. It backfires miserably, of course, which is what makes the book so much fun. I'll definitely reread this one again, although I did leave all my Evanovich books with my mom, since she and I bought them together.
"Green Bay Replay" by Dick Schaap was a fascinating look at the parallels between the 1967 Green Bay Packers and the 1997 Pack. Both teams went to the Super Bowl and brought back fame and glory to Green Bay. It was wonderful to read about Brett Favre at his peak form, playing with Reggie White, Desmond Howard, Gilbert Brown, and all my old favorites I miss seeing. It reminded me of why I became a Packers fan to begin with, why I loved watching the green and gold on Sunday. I miss that, a lot. I probably won't ever read it again, but it was worth it the first go round.
"Hail to the Chief" by Ed McBain is an 87th precinct novel I hadn't read yet. It was pretty good, if a little too ironic for my taste. The 87th is dealing with a gang war, and the president of one gang is going around killing everyone in sight to try to make peace happen (the book was written in 1973, during the Vietnam War, do you see the irony?). The ending has the detectives pondering that there are much more evil influences to corrupt kids and make them violent besides the television (there is a rather forced, tacked on bit about a reporter who is writing about the effects of violent television on children). They are of course talking about the people in charge, the "president". It was pretty good, not one of his best, since we know right from the start who the killer was, it was just McBain's chance for social commentary loosely disguised as fiction. I'll probably read it again, just because I always reread the 87th novels whenever the mood strikes.

No comments: