Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tweak; Petals on the Wind

I've wanted to read Nic Sheff's "Tweak" ever since I read his dad's version of events back in August. It wasn't actually as whiny as I'd expected, but it was very hard for me to read. I wanted to strangle him. You could see when he was about to make a horrible mistake in his life, and he would even say he knew he was making a mistake, but that didn't stop him. Damn drug addicts. Still, I wanted to understand why someone would ever want to be a drug addict. I still don't understand, but I don't think I ever will. I probably won't ever read this one again, but it was pretty decent the first time.
"Petals on the Wind" by V.C. Andrews is another reread and the sequel to "Flowers in the Attic". It wasn't as good: there were some glaringly obvious errors that bothered me, like describing a woman in the 1940s as being on birth control pills (um, hello? 30 years too early, maybe?). I still cried when Carrie killed herself. Very sad. Of course I'll reread it again someday. I've been rereading V.C. Andrews for 20 years now.

No comments: