Monday, January 9, 2012

Hark!; Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

So of course after reading Evan Hunter's (a.k.a. Ed McBain) memoir "Let's Talk", I knew I was going to start rereading some great classic 87th Precinct series books, and I started off with "Hark!", number 54, next to the last, and a great Deaf Man story. I think if McBain had lived and gotten to write more in the series we would have seen more of the Deaf Man.
"Dash and Lily's Book of Dares" by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan was fantastic. I wish I was 16 again just so I could recreate this book, although of course it wouldn't turn out the same for me. Lily leaves a red notebook with a literary scavenger hunt in a bookstore. Dash finds it, completes the hunt, and leaves a clue for Lily to lead her on a hunt of his devising. It was clever and charming, seeing how they get to know each other through a notebook passed back and forth through friends and relatives. Meeting in real life for the first time doesn't go so well, but luckily they get a second chance. Ah, sweet without being ridiculous. It's a fine line to walk.

No comments: