Thursday, January 19, 2012

Servants of Twilight; Then Again; The List

I was in the mood for a good Dean Koontz reread, so I chose "Servants of Twilight". One day while leaving the mall (South Coast Plaza shout out, whoo hoo!) Christine and her six year old son, Joey, are accosted by a crazy old woman who fixates on Joey and declares that he's the Antichrist and must die. Christine goes to the police when it looks like an intruder is stalking about their property later that night, but they don't take her seriously until her dog shows up decapitated the next morning. It's amazing how quickly the old woman, Grace, and her followers, the Church of Twilight, are able to make life hell for Christine, who has to hire a private detective and go on the run to escape the escalating threat. It was fast paced and thrilling, one of my favorite old Koontz stories.
"Then Again" by Diane Keaton was an enjoyable read. I'm jealous of Diane--she dated Woody Allen back when he was funny and cool, and became friends with Larry McMurtry and spent time cruising in his Cadillac, discussing the meaning of life while searching for used books. If only I'd been born thirty years earlier, I could have been her. Oh, well, probably not :) I just found it amazing that she doesn't think she's pretty because I definitely think she is. I loved her in "Annie Hall", still one of my all time favorite movies. I loved her style and her flair, she just seemed like such a fun person.
"The List" by Martin Fletcher had me in tears the entire time I was reading it. It was very good but very, very tough to read, emotionally exhausting. Set in London immediately after WW2, Jewish refugees are finding it difficult to find a place to call "home". No one wants them around, they have no money and no prospects of finding work, and every day seems to bring more bad news as the complete horrors of the concentration camps and everyone who died are brought to light. Georg and Edith are expecting a baby, in a precarious existence in England, threatened by the townspeople of being evicted to make room for the homecoming British soldiers. They are frantically searching for their family members and just trying to survive. So heartbreaking.

No comments: