Friday, June 2, 2017

99 Days

I was so disappointed with this one. I wanted to like it so bad, but I just couldn't. Molly Barlow made a huge mistake two years earlier: she slept with her boyfriend's older brother, Gabe. Even worse, she told her mom about it, and her mom, a novelist, ended up using it as the plot for her next book, which became a huge bestseller, so the whole world found out what Molly did, including Patrick, her boyfriend. She ran off to Arizona for a year to get away from it all, but now she's back, spending one final summer at home before going off to college. Patrick is dating a new girl named Tess, but Gabe is home and he and Molly start hanging out together. She doesn't have many choices, since her old friends are all shunning her after what she did. I thought Cotugno made a really good point about how it shouldn't have all been Molly's fault, after all, Gabe did a terrible thing, too, but he didn't suffer for it. Still, none of the three main characters were at all likable, they all did horrible things, and I felt like the ending was rushed. I kept reading it, hoping it would get better, but alas, it did not.

No comments: