Sunday, June 11, 2017

Texasville

So, once again ignoring the piles of library books and books I've bought but haven't actually read, I chose instead to reread one of my old favorites by Larry McMurtry: "Texasville", the sequel to "The Last Picture Show". I was a teenager the first time I read it, and I started it one night and stayed up all night to finish it, I literally couldn't put it down. And I was laughing so hard I was afraid I was going to wake everyone up :) Since then it's always been one of my go-to books when I need a cheer up. Maybe I've read it too many times, or I'm just getting older, but it wasn't as funny as it used to be. I still had a good laugh at some parts, but through most of it I understood Duane's anxiety. His family and friends behave atrociously and he's left feeling like the only sane person on the planet. I know the feeling, Duane, and it's exhausting It's still fun to reread, even if I don't laugh as hard as I used to.

No comments: