Friday, July 6, 2018

Grand Sophy

I do so love Georgette Heyer's Regency romances. I hadn't read any in a long time, so I was long overdue. This one was utterly charming. Sir Horace shows up at his sister, Lady Ombersley's house, asking her to look after his only daughter, Sophy, while he goes to South America. Horace tells her Sophy is a self-sufficient girl who is quite capable of taking care of herself, and boy is she! Sophy arrives and turns the whole household upside down. She quickly sees that the poet her cousin, Cecilia, fancies herself in love with is all wrong for her and she should in fact marry the man her father wants her to marry, Charlbury. Her other cousin, Charles, is engaged to marry a dead bore that no one in the family likes. Sophy has no end of suitors herself, since she is so much fun, but we quickly figure out Charles and Sophy should end up together. It was really fun and of course had a happy ending. Can I just say how much I love Regency slang? I wish we still talked like that.

No comments: