Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Prince Who Would Be King; Trixie Belden and the Mystery off Glen Road; Elizabeth; Puddin'

I was actually a little disappointed by this one, it wasn't as interesting as I'd hoped it would be. I think I wasn't a fan of Fraser's writing style. When Queen Elizabeth I died, King James I of Scotland inherited the throne, uniting Scotland and England for the first time and becoming King James VI. His eldest son, Henry, was a brilliant boy: athletic and charming and smart, interested in science and math and art and the Navy. He was liked by all and would have been brilliant as King Henry IX, but unfortunately he died before he could take the throne. His younger brother, Charles, became King when James died, and ended up being beheaded when the monarchy was overthrown. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

I know, I know. I reread this one all the time. If you want to know what I think about it:
http://bekkisbookblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/trixie-belden-and-mystery-off-glen-road.html
http://bekkisbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/walk-among-tombstones-landline-trixie.html
http://bekkisbookblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/trixie-belden-and-mystery-off-glen-road.html
http://bekkisbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-twelve-little-women-and-werewolves.html
Long story short: it makes me laugh :)
I probably should stop reading books about Queen Elizabeth II, they're all pretty much the same. There wasn't anything new in Sarah Bradford's 1996 bio (it was startling to see her referring to Princess Diana in the present tense, though, since she was still alive when Bradford wrote this). It was a fun read, and nicely written, it just felt redundant.
I loved Julie Murphy's "Dumplin'", and this is a companion/sequel, and I loved it too. It's told in alternating points of view between Millie and Callie. Millie is the fat girl (I guess she's bigger than Will, and she calls herself "fat", so that's her word, not mine) who dreams of being a broadcast journalist and finally getting the cute guy she has a crush on to notice her. Every summer her mother sends her to fat camp, but this year she's determined to go to journalism camp instead. Callie is the opposite of Millie: gorgeous and thin, the star dancer on the high school's squad, the Shamrocks, with a hot, rich boyfriend and everything going for her. Callie and her friends are looking forward to the Shamrocks going to State and hopefully Nationals when they find out the gym that was sponsoring them pulled their funding. Furious, the girls vandalize the gym, and only Callie gets caught. As punishment, she has to work off the price of the repairs at the gym with Millie, whose Aunt and Uncle own the place. The two girls end up becoming unlikely friends. It was super sweet and had the requisite happy ending, which was nice if not a little unbelievable. I'm probably getting cynical in my old age :) But it was a good story.

No comments: