Sunday, November 26, 2017

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

Still working on avoiding all those big nonfiction books I checked out! I love "Pride and Prejudice" (book and films). I've liked a lot of the sequels written by other authors and some of the spoofs, like "Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies". If P&P could be fun with zombies, why not vampyres? Sadly, I was wrong. Fitzwilliam Darcy is a vampyre, although Lizzie doesn't know it when they get married. They take off on their honeymoon trip and go first to Paris, to meet some of his relatives. Lizzie is a bit concerned that Darcy doesn't want to be alone with her, since, after all, it is their honeymoon. She tries to set her doubts aside and have a good time, and she does in Venice, where she meets more friends and family. Then off to a remote castle, which is stormed by an angry mob of villagers, and Darcy and Lizzie barely escape with their lives. An ancient vampyre is pursuing them, determined to have Lizzie for himself, and Darcy finally tells her the truth. They can never be together, for fear of making her a vampyre, too. It was all very silly, but not in a good way, in an eye rolling "My God, why am I still reading this?" sort of way. And she took great liberties with the vampyre mythos. Darcy can eat food, and go out in sunlight, and wear a cross. I would have been better off rereading the original.

No comments: