Tuesday, November 21, 2017

See What I Have Done

I was super disappointed with Sarah Schmidt's "See What I Have Done". It's a fictionalized account of the Lizzie Borden case, so of course I was excited and snatched it up as soon as it came in. Right off the bat her writing style didn't appeal to me, and I told myself to just give it up and return the book, but I was determined. I'm sorry now I wasted my time, it just wasn't for me. She had a strange premise for crime: Uncle John hired a man named Benjamin to accompany him to Fall River and "have a word" with Andrew about the way he was treating his nieces. Benjamin is a rather unsavory character, but he manages to sneak his way into the Borden home that fateful day, unseen by anyone (despite vomiting under the table...yuck). And yet, he wasn't the murderer. Schmidt doesn't come out and *say* it, but she strongly implies it was Lizzie who butchered her stepmother and father. Benjamin is upset he was cheated out of his chance to hurt someone, but he does find the murder weapon and take it with him when he leaves (which explains why the police never found it). All in all it was very disjointed and like I said, the style was not to my taste.

No comments: