Sunday, November 5, 2017

Paperbacks from Hell; Caroline: Little House, Revisited

"Paperbacks from Hell" by Grady Hendrix was a lot of fun. He took a look back at the golden era of horror and the craziness that was being published back then (but crazy in a super fun way). His summaries of some of the stories had me laughing out loud, and a lot of the cover art was so excellent and over the top. I think I added about 1,000 books to my "to read" list (the last thing I needed, right?) but some of those books are really hard to get a hold of, since they were only in print for a short period of time and not meant to be classics that stayed in libraries forever. I see a lot of Ebay in my future :)
"Caroline: Little House, Revisited" by Sarah Miller was "Little House on the Prairie", told from Ma's (Caroline Ingalls) point of view. It was excellent, great to get an adult perspective on the events that happened. Caroline has just discovered she is pregnant with their third child when Charles asks if they can move to Kansas. She reluctantly agrees, and off they go in the wagon. I can't even begin to imagine how awful that must have been: first of all, traveling that far in a wagon and being newly pregnant to boot? No thanks. They get to Kansas and pick a spot to make their new home. While Charles is looking for good land Caroline is naturally worried about who will come to help her when it's time for the baby to be born. After living in Kansas for about a year, the farmer who bought their home in Wisconsin reneges on the deal and the Ingalls family has to pack up and move back (they don't stay long, but that's another story). It makes me want to go back and reread all the Little House books, even though I really shouldn't.

No comments: