Sunday, July 13, 2008

Booktalker's Bible; Blue Bloods; Deliverance

First, a work related book called the "Booktalker's Bible" by Chapple Langemark. It was pretty good and gave me some great ideas that I can use to hopefully create some successful programs for my new library.
"Blue Bloods" by Melissa de la Cruz was a recommendation from Shelly, and it was pretty good. I'm desperate for "Breaking Dawn", the last of the "Twilight" sage, by Stephenie Meyer (just three more weeks!!!), and I was hoping this would tide me over, but really, it didn't. I did like the story and the characters: a group of wealthy, snobby, incredibly gorgeous teenagers in New York turn out to be vampires, or blue bloods, as they call themselves, because their blood never dies. They just keep being reincarnated, and can remember their past lives. I liked the way she wove in the true story of Roanoke and the disappearance of the colony there. Hey, we'll probably never really know what happened to that group of people, so why not believe they were vampires that got attacked by a stronger vampire (known as silver bloods)?
"Deliverance" by James Dickey is one of those classic novels you always think you should read. I didn't like it. There was too much description for my taste, which bogged down what I thought was supposed to be a fast paced action book. Four city guys go white water rafting down a river in backwards country. Two of them are attacked and molested by two local boys. When one of the city guys kills one of the country boys, the other one runs off, but he starts hunting them. They are vulnerable, alone in the wild, and must turn to their most primal hunting skills to survive.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Hey Bekki,
Glad you liked Blue Bloods. I agree, though, it's just not Twilight!