Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Case of the Blonde Bonanza; The Memory Keeper's Daughter

"The Case of the Blonde Bonanza" by Erle Stanley Gardner features Perry trying to figure out why his client, a voluptuous blonde, has been asked by a modeling agency representative to gain twenty pounds. Perry suspects something fishy, and of course he's right. There were a lot of really good red herrings in this one and a surprise ending.
"The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards was actually really disappointing. I saw the movie on TV, so I already sort of knew what would happen (if the movie followed the book; which it mostly did), but usually books are better than movies, so I was hopeful, since I liked the movie. The book was much too descriptive and bogged down in little details for my taste. For instance, every time she described a baby's hand, she compared it to a starfish. Endlessly. Like a hundred times. It got real old real quick. It wasn't a bad book by any means, just not my cup of tea.

No comments: