Thursday, July 3, 2008

Brett Favre: The Tribute; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

On Tuesday I read Sports Illustrated's new tribute book to Brett Favre. When he announced his retirement in March, I was so sad. Not terribly surprised, because he was voted to go the pro bowl, but declined. I thought then that he wasn't having fun anymore, so his retirement news didn't come as quite the shock it otherwise would have. The book was basically SI's past articles on Brett (some of which I already read when I bought the issues of the magazine) as well as great pictures. The NFL will miss him.
I reread J. K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" yesterday. It's been almost a year since the last Harry Potter book came out, and after watching "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on TV yesterday morning, I was in the mood for the books. While it's sad that there won't be any new books, what's awesome about the series is that they're so good, you can keep rereading them. Even though I had already read this one twice, I still felt anxious at the suspenseful parts, and cried at the sad parts. I feel sorry for kids whose parents are so ignorant as to not let them read these books. Harry and his friends are such a wonderful example of how to be loyal and brave and courageous and selfless. They're so not about witchcraft; they're about the timeless struggle between good and evil.

No comments: