Monday, November 9, 2009

The Butcher; Living Dead in Dallas; High Society

Philip Carlo's "The Butcher" took a look at mafia hitman Tommy Pitero, who was a real bad man. Like all of Carlo's true crime books, it was light on details but long on gruesome adjectives. Not that I didn't enjoy it, of course, although I was disappointed by the photos, which warranted a disclaimer. I did not find them at all disturbing.
"Living Dead in Dallas" by Charlaine Harris catches me up with Sookie (I think). She and Bill travel to Dallas to help out a nest of vampires who are missing one of their own and Sookie unearths a traitor in their midst. It was pretty good, light hearted fun after the mafia butcher.
"High Society" by Donald Spoto is his latest bio, about the luminous Grace Kelly. I love Spoto's bios and have read quite a few of them. Combine his writing style, which is easy and pleasant, with the life of one of my all time favorite actresses and it's a winner. I love Grace Kelly. I think she was one of the most beautiful women in all of Hollywood, and the epitome of charm, class, and style. Her tragic early death really robbed the world of a wonderful person, but Spoto's treatment of her did her memory justice.

No comments: