Monday, November 16, 2009

Under the Dome

We all know I love Stephen King. Even when his writing isn't all that awesome (Can anyone else remember "From a Buick 8", 'cause I can't, and I know I read it). When he is awesome, however, my god, he is mind blowingly awesome. That is how I felt last night after finishing his 1,000 page latest, "Under the Dome" (and yes, I shelled out for a signed limited edition copy, and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself). Not since 1996's "Green Mile" have I enjoyed one of SK's books this much. The characters were brilliant, reminding me very much of my all time SK favorite "IT". The story is typical SK: the small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is suddenly thrust into the national spotlight when an invisible dome clamps down over it, leaving the town at the mercy of its crooked town selectmen and the renegade police force of power loving recruits. The horrific part isn't the origin of the dome (which was kind of nonsensical, but that's SK for you). No, that wasn't the scary part: the scary part is how quickly the good people of this small town turn on each other, and all the nasty secrets that come out. Like most small towns, Chester's Mill has a lot of skeletons in the closet (literally as well as figuratively). And perhaps most shocking of all: there is a happy ending! Well, as happy as SK gets :-)
All in all, I really loved it and those 1,000 pages just flew by. It's totally put me in the mood to reread some of my old faves, like "IT", "Christine" and "The Stand".

No comments: