Monday, March 29, 2010

Eclipse; Breaking Dawn; The Kids Are All Right; Hell Gate

I reread two of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" series over the weekend because I was sick in bed, "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn". I enjoyed both more than I did last time I reread them, so that was something.
"The Kids Are All Right" by the Welch siblings: Diana, Liz, Amanda, and Dan. They took turns telling their story of what happened to the four of them after their parents died and they were split up among friends to be raised. This is going to sound mean, but it wasn't nearly as sad as I thought it would be. I've read much worse, like Dave Eggers "Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius". Not that it wasn't awful for them to lose their parents within a few years of each other, but their mother set up a trust fund that paid for their private schools, and they all pretty much survived all right.
"Hell Gate" by Linda Fairstein is her latest Alex Cooper mystery. Alex and her partners, Mike and Mercer, are hunting down human traffickers, people who bring in women from other countries to be sold into the sex trade. At one point it looked like the entire City Hall was in on it: the mayor, the D.A., half the city council. It was okay. Alex and Mike's bantering got on my nerves, and Alex's blase treatment of her boyfriend just rubbed me the wrong way.

No comments: