Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Tudors

G. J. Meyer's all-encompassing biography of the most notorious rulers of Britain was utterly brilliant. Witty and sharp and interesting, I truly enjoyed it. Unlike most historians, who are pretty good about not interpreting or casting judgment on their subjects, Meyer was quick to call out King Henry's hypocrisies. I thought he was a bit harsh on Queen Elizabeth, but his cutting remarks about Henry were so great I forgave him. Here's my favorite, from pg. 301: "The king meanwhile soldiered on with the thankless and unending task of showing his people the way to salvation, to all appearances unaware that he could have spent his time more productively by trying to herd cats." When was the last time I laughed out loud while reading nonfiction? I hope he writes more in the future!

No comments: