Monday, March 8, 2010

V for Vendetta; Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right

Alan Moore and David Lloyd team up for the graphic novel "V for Vendetta", which was pretty good. I liked "Watchmen" better, and I think it was because of the artwork. I wasn't crazy about the way Lloyd illustrated it. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't as nice as other graphic novels I've read, and I think, obviously, half the point of reading a graphic novel is for the illustrations. The plot was pretty decent, if somewhat unbelievable and paranoid, but Moore did a good job of making us understand the main characters motivation.
"Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right" by Jennifer Burns was a well done biography of Rand that examined not only her personal life but her long term affects on American culture and politics. It's obvious that even though Rand has been dead for nearly 30 years, she still inspires, fascinates, and infuriates. Reading all these biographies of Rand make me wish I had more time right now to reread "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead". It's been years! Much too long.

No comments: