Friday, November 2, 2007

Louder than Words

Last night I read Jenny McCarthy's "Louder than Words", about her autistic son, Evan. Autism fascinates me; I think it's because no one's really sure what causes it and there are so many different forms that some treatments work for some kids but not for others. She has chosen to share her story with us in hopes of educating everyone on how widespread this disease has become. It's truly shocking: 1 out of every 150 children will be diagnosed with autism. To me, this is totally unacceptable. We need to take a more aggressive stance and really put some research money into discovering what causes this and how to better treat it. Luckily for Jenny, diet and therapy have done wonders for Evan, and I was glad to hear it. As someone who hopes to have children someday, this is definitely a cause for concern.

No comments: