Friday, November 30, 2007

Power, Money, and Sex: How Success Almost Ruined My Life

Yesterday I finished reading Deion Sander's "Power, Money, and Sex". Well, let me say this right off the bat: I'm glad he's found a religion that works for him, and that he feels happier and more fulfilled. Now, let me complain :-) I really can't feel sorry for him. No one will ever pay me millions of dollars to play football or, for that matter, baseball, professionally. I do not have a God given talent like that. The only God given talent I seem to have is for reading, and that doesn't pay much. So here's a man who has it all: money, fame, family, friends, houses, cars, etc., and he wants me to feel bad for him because he almost threw it all away (by driving his $200,000 Mercedes off a cliff) because his life felt so empty. I subscribe to the theory that whoever said money doesn't buy happiness just doesn't know where to shop. Sure, it's important to have other things in your life, but let's face it, it's a lot easier to be happier if you don't have to worry about making the mortgage.

No comments: