Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Rozelle and You Can Lead a Politician to Water But You Can't Make Him Think and Dave Barry's History of the Millennium So Far

Okay, last night I finished reading "Rozelle" by Jeff Davis, a wonderful biography about the NFL's greatest commissioner. He served from 1960-1989, and made pro football what it is today. The book technically just wasn't about Pete Rozelle; it was about the NFL in general (for example, one chapter dealt with the famous Ice Bowl game, which Rozelle was not even at; he was in Oakland watching the Raiders/Houston Oilers game), but that's okay. It was interesting and well researched and no, I am not done reading football related books yet!
After I finished "Rozelle" I read Kinky Friedman's latest "You Can Lead a Politician to Water but You Can't Make Him Think". The Kinkster ran for Governor of Texas in 2006, and sadly lost (I would have voted for you, Kinky!!). I love Kinky's humor books: he's funny and makes a lot of sense. I think he would have been a great governor, but I'm glad he's still writing (his previous one before this one said he would stop if he was elected). Well, his mysteries aren't all that great: I read one and wasn't impressed. Anytime an author uses themselves as a character in their fiction it is just weird (somewhere in Florida Stephen King's ears are burning). It was a fun, lighthearted humor book, just what I needed for some laughs.
Then this afternoon I read Dave Barry's latest "Dave Barry's History of the Millennium So Far". I love Dave Barry; he's hilarious. And his fiction is good, too! But anyway, this book wrapped up the last 6 years. It's amazing how much you forget (anyone remember Elian Gonzalez, the little Cuban boy whose Florida relatives didn't want him sent back? I had totally forgotten). He is a total equal opportunity offender, unlike some so-called humorists that are popular now. I needed the laughs, and Barry provided.

No comments: